Spot Breaks Within Music Format Clocks

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
dylan923

Re: Spot Breaks Within Music Format Clocks

Post by dylan923 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:31 pm

Agreed Tony

jacquestutite

Post by jacquestutite » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:57 pm

I do them as close as possible to :15, :30 and :45.

zinger7

Post by zinger7 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:29 am

What? Can't you answer the Man's question? Stop with the Babble & tripe and answer the man. Fuck. My answer is at the :20 and :50 with no music sweeps? Why not :20 and :35 then you can sweep music from :39 until the next :20 break that is 41 minutes of music. That is what I think and believe!

wgac

Post by wgac » Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:54 am

:25 & :55 is the best. station id and back to music.

sfvarholy

Post by sfvarholy » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:38 am

This thread is an example of why a station bought by a former jock with no programming, sales or research experience goes tits up quickly. I've seen it again and again.

All of the factors I mentioned matter, if you are going to be serious. Do you think that iHeart doesn't research ALL OF THOSE factors? Short answer: they do. They make informed decisions on how long breaks for a station in a certain format in each of their markets should be and where they should be placed for the most effective results. Should the station be in a 4 minute stopset while everyone else is playing music? Or should they be done before their competitors? If you are looking at maximum TSL, perhaps you shift both spot breaks close together on one side or other of the hour? Is it a diary recall market or PPM? Diary markets should lead you to think about how placement affects participants remembering WHEN they were listening.

The Steve Kingstons and Scott Shannons lead stations to success by thinking about these things.

I gave you a serious answer with serious considerations. But go ahead and prove why management thinks most jocks are a bunch of jerkoffs.

afternoonjock

Post by afternoonjock » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:08 am

:13 & :43 or :28 & :58

sfvarholy

Post by sfvarholy » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:47 pm

Signal strength doesn't matter?

If you are tasked with designing clocks for a rimshot that only covers a percentage of the market, the time spent listening MATTERS because the facility's ratings is -- NOT -- going to be driven by CUME because enough of the market is not going to be able to hear the station.

So your clocks and stopset placement should be designed to optimize time spent listening. That's not "old guy talk" that is programming strategy basics 101.

What about when your competitors stop down? Do you want to be playing music when they are running a commercial block or do you want your listeners to be tuning away to their music while you are in a stop set? It matters.

Good thing you don't work for me because you wouldn't for very long.

demis

Post by demis » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:29 am

I have been in Radio for years and years. With 2-4 Minutes of spots...I would put 2 minutes at :20 and 2 mins at :40. Don't want to sound like a jukebox with one or no breaks. With just 2 mins in an hour...:20 break looks good. :20 & :50 breaks are good spot or "Live" read for station events coming up or local Public Service Announcements. Don't promote station events before a break that has a recorded promo for that event. Hear this all the time from area stations! Hope this helps!